Sunday, August 21, 2005

Holiday Swimming

I'm not a good swimmer by any stretch of the imagination.
Don't get me wrong I can swim and I'm not afraid of the water or anything, its just that I'm not very good.

I didn't learn to swim until I joined the army at 16 and was given 8 weeks to pass a military swimming test. My lessons were brutal to say the least, but effective as I passed the test.
Jumping into a pool from the high board - treading water for 2mins and swimming 10 lengths. As far as I remember I cheated on the number of lengths and, with the aid of some very good mates, managed to get away with a few paces in the shallow end and a few clings to the side.
I can't really remember trying to swim again until a few years ago. Always in the sea splashing about or in the pool with the kids (shallow end or slides etc).
When I was training for the London marathon this year I did a few sessions swimming breast stroke until I was knackered, but were talking a couple of lengths hanging onto the side as required.

Why am I writing this?
Oh yeah - I was getting pretty tired and sore on holiday from walking, running etc so I decided to do a few pool trips, my daughter was also keen to learn crawl (freestyle?), so lets do it together.

After 4 sessions my breaststroke is looking OK, my crawl is non-existant.
My daughter is swimming like a fish.

The good news is that I really enjoyed it, it leaves me exhausted and its something all my children are happy to do with me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home