Sunday, April 09, 2006

Reading Half PB

The Reading half is a big run - over 13,000 runners.

Advertised as a course ideal for personal bests, but if you start at the back (2hr time pen) with thousands of runners in front of you passing through some narrow streets around the town it could prove difficult.

After the first 2 miles I was 2 minutes down on my target time and still being held up.
Surely all those runners in the under 2hr time pens shouldn't be walking after 1 mile should they? - or next time should I just line up as far forward as I can?
I was really pissed off, dug in deep and was eventually back on schedule at the 6 mile marker. Steady running until 10 miles and then gave it all I had left for the last 3.
At the 12 mile marker I had 15 mins to spare and that's when I started to smile - a big, broad smile that wouldn't stop - all the way home.

1hr 55mins.

It seemed to go quickly with no real worries, other than not being able to run steadily for walkers in the first 2 miles.

Good crowd support and the finish in Reading football stadium has got to be the best.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home