Sunday, March 19, 2006

Failed

Yep, I failed.
2hrs 23secs.
Very close but not under 2hrs.

The problem was the Garmin 301, well no thats not really true, its because I didn't run fast enough and I relyed on my Garmin for everything (fool).

I used it in Training Assistant ("training" that should have been a big enough clue) as a Virtual Partner. This shows you how far behind or infront of your schedule you are displayed as a distance.
Brilliant so far.
Now I know its not 100%, but usually because it joins satelite fixes by straight line it usually comes up short on distance, which would be fine.

Running well keeping on schedule nicely.
Nearing the 7m marker I heard the Beep for 1m lap but I was a good 150m short.
I always have it set to 1m laps so I can download and check splits, this was the first one I had heard. It showed a 1m split of 9m 12sec which is fine.
But 150m short!

Didn't worry to much then at 10m it was a good 200m short - panic.
Put in a quicker mile - still short.
At 12m I was still well short so I basically gave it everything I had to catch up.

Running like a metronome I can do, putting in quicker miles I can't.


Garmin Result
13.1m
1hr 59mins

Actual Result
13.1m
2hrs 0mins 23secs

So lesson learnt - Garmin is a great training tool but when it comes to races use a watch checking splits manually at each mile marker.

Happy with a PB by 9 minutes, absolutely gutted at not breaking 2hrs.
I'm going to have to do it all again now - the sub 2hrs is going to be done.

Summary

2:00:23
13.1m (13.28 garmin)
161 avg bpm
186 max bpm

slowest mile = 9th in 9:25 (long steady hill)
fastest mile = 13th in 8:28 (panic mode)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home